The microbiology laboratories have a wide variety of tools because of the wide variety of procedures performed there.
Also read:d2l mnsu.edu
List of Instruments used in Microbiology Lab
- Analytical Balance
- Bunsen burner
- Water Bath
1. Analytical Balance
To quantify masses in the micromilligram range, scientists often use analytical balances.
- These balances include a glass cover that encloses the measurement pan, keeping it free from dust or breezes.
- Instead of measuring actual mass, an electric analytical balance measures the force required to oppose the mass.
- The force generated by an electromagnet is then shown to be in visual equilibrium with the mass of the material.
- Analytical balances are a staple of laboratories everywhere; their high precision and cutting-edge technology make them ideal for tasks like weighing test materials and sampling amounts, formulating, determining density, analyzing purity, performing quality control testing, and assessing material and conformance.
When time, pressure, and steam are combined in an autoclave, the result is a sterilized or disinfected object.
- For sterilizing purposes, autoclaves rely on steam. Any liquid, plastic, or glassware placed inside an autoclave will be subjected to the same fundamental concept of direct contact with steam for the same amount of time.
- Sterilization cycles may be shortened by increasing their temperature if the substance being sterilized is suitable for that temperature.
- When it comes to sterilising several items at once, medical and laboratory facilities often turn on autoclaves.
- For most laboratory applications, they are utilised to make culture media.
3. Bunsen burner
The Bunsen burner, named after its inventor Robert Bunsen, is a staple of every chemistry lab. The flame is a single open gas flame.
- The gas is fed into the burner at its base and its flow may be adjusted from the outside using a gas cock. Air is sucked in via the intake ports towards the base of the as gas is forced upwards.
- The quantity of air emitted from the burning device is adjustable by rotating a sleeve that covers the apertures in the gadget’s body.
- Commonly, specific tips are put above the barrel to prevent the flame from jumping out.
- Turn off the air, turn on the gas, and then ignite your burner for the greatest results. There will be a huge, golden flame. When the flame becomes blue, you may turn the air intake all the way open.
Also read: reddit uk musictamburrogamerevolution
- Common applications include disinfection, combustion, and thermal energy production. It is often used in microbiology and medical research facilities for micro-loop sterilization.
When conducting chemical processes that need a stable temperature and humidity level, a water bath is a common instrument used to achieve this.
- This device employs a sensor to convert the water’s temperature to a reference value, which is then amplified by the device’s control system before being sent as a signal to the heating system to bring the water to the required temperature.
- Most often, samples are heated in a water bath at a predetermined temperature.
- Use them if you need to heat a substance that would explode if ignited directly.